You are here
Senior Software Engineer
Please click on this link:
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications
You will join a team of developing a new Drupal 8 enterprise content management, ecommerce platform and allied systems that will be used by British Council staff across the globe, whilst also maintaining the Drupal 7 platform until migration is complete. You will bring development expertise, planning and insight, and ensure high quality code is delivered in line with project goals and delivery cycles. You will use agile methods and enjoy working openly, collaboratively and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
The Digital team was set up to lead a major change programme to transform the British Council into a digital business. Over the last few years, the team has delivered what is now one the largest Drupal implementations, delivering over 130 localised sites across the world on a container based hosting platform.
You will be a key member of a multidisciplinary team and will work closely with members of the Product, UX & Design and Content colleagues to understand content structure and work flows, and be comfortable engaging with end users to ensure they understand how they produce work and with British Council editors to identify future content requirements.
· Drupal (Module development, theming)
· RESTful web services (JSON, XML)
· PHP (object-oriented methodologies) and MySQL
· Elasticsearch and Solr / other faceted search system
· Prior development experience on large-scale web application project(s)
· Ability to lead on the planning and implementation of projects.
· Efficient debugging skills
· Proficiency with Drupal’s Coding Standards, approaches and common APIs
· Strong knowledge of web and database performance optimization tools and best practices.
· Strong knowledge of version control systems (GIT)
· Maintaining high code quality through adherence to standards, team code reviews and unit testing
· Experience of Agile planning within the software development lifecycle.
· Drupal 8 commercial experience
· Knowledge of other PHP frameworks (Symfony, Laravel)
· Experience configuring virtualisation for development processes, e.g. Docker/Vagrant
· Experience in building sites using Drupal Commerce
· Experience with GraphQL
We will provide:
· Your choice of a Mac/Linux laptop
· Professional development training
· Flexible working arrangements
· 32 days annual leave
· Workplace pension
· Friendly, social and supportive environment