You are here
Front End Web Developer
The Web Developer position at the Duke University Social Science Research Institute (SSRI) is responsible for helping to manage SSRI's web presence as well as web development for affiliated centers. Responsibilities include maintaining functionality of the SSRI website and affiliated sites created in Drupal. An understanding of the entire web development process, including design, development, and deployment, with some back-end knowledge, is important.
- Develop functional and appealing web sites
- Provide website maintenance and enhancements
- Write functional requirement documents and specifications
- Create quality mockups and prototypes on tight timelines
- Assist back-end developers with coding and troubleshooting
- Create CSS that are consistent across all browsers and platforms
- Maintain graphic standards and Duke/SSRI branding
- Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies
- Promote usability best practices
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS
- Drupal site building experience and strong familiarity with core and contributed modules
- Ability to take a design from a Photoshop mockup to a theme in Drupal
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to switch contexts continuously, without losing track or going bananas. However, you will be allowed to go for a banana if the mood strikes you
- Capacity to remain composed under pressure
- Ability to design with the end-user in mind and can gather client requirements easily
- Adeptness to work both independently and collaboratively with a team
- A sense of humor
The following skills/experiences are not required though reflect favorably on the applicant:
- Knowledge of Drupal 8
- Familiarity writing custom or contributing to Drupal modules
- Experience coding in an OOP fashion
- Understanding of Drupal 7 theming
- Proficiency with sites using responsive design / Bootstrap
Work requires a bachelor's degree preferably in information science, computer science, graphic design or related field.
Position requires 2 years or more in web design field. Graphic experience or background preferred. Proficiency with Mac based environment, HTML, Java Script, Acrobat, and some type of image editing product (Photoshop, etc.).
Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.