You are here
Senior Web Developer
George Washington University Libraries & Academic Innovation
For more information or to apply for this position, please visit www.gwu.jobs/postings/42987
George Washington Libraries and Academic Innovation (GWLAI) is a catalyst, a spark to generate new ideas and new possibilities. Responsive to the changing landscape of information and education, being sensitive both to traditional and emergent modes of communication, we bring together diverse constituents of faculty, students, and staff in a highly collaborative, dynamic, and deeply engaged intellectual community to support research, teaching and learning. As part of the larger George Washington University, we are a nexus where exciting things happen, where change happens, where growth happens.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Outreach, the Senior Web Developer works in a highly collaborative environment with the Web designer, Web Producer, and GWLAI partners to ensure an effective, visually appealing, and intuitive web presence. The Senior Web Developer is responsible for the following duties:
- Manages all technical aspects and architecture of GW LAI’s web presence. This includes responsibility for the CMS for the main site, which itself integrates library search/discovery tools and applications such as a room reservation system, web publishing of archival collections, custom-built CMS modules, and more.
- Deploys, maintains, and enhances the CMS and other sites to ensure high availability, performance, security, and to ensure that the sites meet evolving business requirements. This entails back-end through front-end work: Administering Linux servers, configuring CMS applications and databases, through creating web pages and custom modules.
- Collaborates with the Web Designer to integrate approved themes and design elements into CMS and CMS modules.
- Utilizes site analytics to track and provide visibility into site activity, usage, and visitor profiles
- Utilizes SEO and Semantic Web strategies to improve site visibility
- Maintains current documentation on application and server administration, and adheres to team practices for code versioning and code review workflows
- Consults with GWLAI Communications and partners to determine priorities and scope of business requirements relating to web projects, and communicates with decision-makers at all levels to discuss technical plans, risks, and opportunities
The position is based at GW’s Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.