You are here
Drupal Lead Engineer, Online Global
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tree House Interactive is recruiting a Drupal Lead Engineer on behalf of our client--the ecommerce division of a Fortune 500 luxury beauty company.
Official title: Drupal Lead Engineer, Online Global
Position is: Full-time
Compensation: Please include your salary requirements
Location: Flatiron, NYC
Our client is currently embarking on a platform transformation, with React playing a key role & integrating with our Drupal application. Their Drupal CMS is heavily customized to meet business needs of Luxury Brands that require a very high quality frontend with a large degree of creative complexity & flexibility.
To help drive this transformation forward, our client is looking for a full-time Drupal Lead engineer who will be responsible for Drupal application development, including the integration with React, with the new API-driven backend, with the migration to AWS cloud, as well as ongoing development & maintenance of CMS functionalities. This person will be a guardian for the Drupal Platform, and be responsible for smooth operation and ongoing development.
This is a developer position first and foremost, and as such requires a broad and deep level of understanding with specific technologies. As a senior engineer, the team will rely on your expertise to set and help them achieve the standard for their work.
Typical duties will include solution design, development, code reviews, troubleshooting, KPI management and team mentoring. We expect a senior engineer to contribute to the strategic direction of the platform, and leverage broad industry knowledge to inform process/tooling changes.
The role reports to the Frontend Technology Lead
· Lead the build of key Drupal application-level capabilities which will be leveraged by our 500+ sites & must be built in scalable, globally configurable ways, including new CMS features, content APIs & “headless” capabilities, integrations with other applications & tools, performance improvements, etc. This will require close collaboration with architects & technical leads to determine & implement build approaches that meet our timeline & KPIs
· Spearhead Drupal application-level work necessary to migrate the Drupal application from hosted infrastructure to the AWS Cloud, including collaboration with Systems team to build out DevOps workflows, automated testing, & continuous integration capabilities and to ensure excellent Drupal application performance in the Cloud environment.
· Collaborate with engineers and architects to formulate the technical design of Drupal application features based on established design patterns
· Identify & build Drupal capabilities to support the needs of frontend developers
· Ensure that technical documentation for the Drupal application is kept up-to-date, comprehensive and accessible, and that there is active contribution and understanding of this documentation across the team
· Actively provide coaching and mentorship to grow the technical skills within the Drupal team
· Submit engineering requirements for projects/activity which are not led by the business such as enforcing technical best practices, clearing down technical debt, etc.
· Monitor code produced by the team and ensure that CI environments are maintained in a green state
· Increase the overall stability of code by writing defensively with thorough unit testing
· Be aware of the performance of the Drupal application & frontend, and its relative performance compared to industry best practices & our KPI goals
· Guard the needs of the Drupal engineers such that they have the right tools and processes in place, and are given work in a manner which allows them to succeed. If this is not met, to articulate the requirements back to the Frontend technology lead and prevent bad practice from creeping into workflows
· Troubleshoot issues and provide root cause analysis
· Maintain an outward looking perspective and import relevant insights and best practice into the business
· 8+ years relevant experience
· Technical background – an expert incorporating 5+ years of technical development experience in Drupal & PHP, 3+ years of Drupal 7 (both module development & theming), & a thorough understanding of engineering principles and design patterns
· Solution design experience, with demonstrable success in large scale projects, ideally of an eCommerce nature
· Familiarity with NodeJS, Jenkins, GIT, AWS Cloud technologies, frontend integration with RESTful APIs, frontend integration with a CDN such as Akamai, automated testing via a tool such as Behat/Gerkin
· Excellent knowledge of DevOps principles and associated tooling
· Experience working in Agile development teams & working with Jira
· Experience working on large-scale, global projects
· Positive, collaborative, & solution-oriented approach to building relationships & solving challenges. Pro-active approach to problem solving, actively seeking to grow your skills and knowledge
· Management experience preferred, ideally in an engineering role mentoring a small technical team of <10 people